Wednesday, May 30, 2012

2012 Albums I've Enjoyed Pt 1

 
Yeah its been a while since I lasted made a post and with good reason, I couldn't be fucked but now is the time to bring it back from the dead (again). I think I'll just make the occasional post perhaps a new album I'm really enjoying or even a show I'm going to see. But for now I'm going to focus in this post anyway on the albums and songs I've really enjoyed so far.



Sharon Von Etton - Tramp

I was quite the fan of her last album titled Epic and when she released the track Serpents late last year I was excited at what she might be making. A strong singer songwriter accompanied by some nice acoustic guitar playing and nice lyrics. The album is great vocally as she sounds beautiful but seem different enough to have its own personality to make it her own. The album changes it up at times from the slow sad number that is Give Out to the fuller more vibrant Serpents straight after it, both top tracks from this year.


Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action At A Distance

Man, remember Desire Lines from the last Deerhunter album? yeah that song was sweet and featured the vocals of guitarist Lockett Pundt. This album is the second solo album of his under the title Lotus Plaza and its as dreamy as that great Deerhunter track. Standouts on the album are Monoliths and Dusty Rhodes (Hes an American...dream). The songs are full of dreamy indie rock with long dragged out moments that add to the overall beauty of the album.



Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben

Long time readers will know Brian Jonestown Massacre are one of my favourite bands around, after all they did create my first (equal) album of all time in Give It Back. This album is a big jump in the right direction after the disappointment of Who Killed Sgt Pepper? and Anton Newcombe has gone back to his retro psychedelic rock days where I really dug his stuff. Blue Order/New Monday is a fantastic end track that closes a great psych rock album.



Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

We already have a favourite for rap album of the year in this album, Killer Mike slays it with his rhymes and most of the beats are legit as fuck. This is a must for anyone who really is into southern rap or even those that like rap music in general. The energy in his performance and featuring artists is really where his strength comes from and this is easily a top 5 release in general as far as I'm concerned. Favourite track: Don't Die.


Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory 

I only listened to this for the first time a few days ago and it safe to say I'm pleased I did cause this album features some great post punk, noise, indie rock tracks. The highlight being Wasted Days a long (nearly 9 minutes) track which while lacking in lyrics hits the spot with the chorus "I thought I would be more than this" repeating many times throughout. While Separation is a great instrumental track that starts as a solid indie rock track that by the end really builds into a faster punkish track that I enjoyed a lot.


Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again

I've never been much of a soul fan but after hearing some nice things about this Michael Kiwanuka debut album I thought it was worth a shot at least. What comes out is just a beautiful album the band really do add great softness to the tracks while Kiwanuka has a nice soft black mans voice that brings it all together. This is a strong debut and an easy listening kind of album that just sounds incredibly relaxing from start to finish.




No comments:

Post a Comment