Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Album Review: In Flames - Sounds Of A Playground Fading



When I was in High School I was a huge In Flames fan, Whoracle has always been my jam from this band but Come Clarity and Reroute To Remain were also solid albums for me anyway. Once Anders became an emo faggot the albums slowly got worse and as I finished high school I pretty much stopped listening to them (I did check out A Sense Of Purpose it was decent). Now with a longer than usual break between albums and the fall out from foundning member Jesper Stromblad would this lead to a fresh and different In Flames album?

Unfortunately the answer to this question is ultimately no, this album really is no different to the last few In Flames albums, Anders continuing his emo lyrics on and the melodic death metal sound that In Flames helped become what it is in Gothenburg has continued. To me this is almost a tired sounding album with parts being so similar to earlier stuff its really a lazy album by these dudes.

The album is incredibly chunky, the fat cunt riffs early in the album would make Dimebag proud (seriously that's not a good thing) the vocals are really no different to what we have heard in the past which makes this difficult to review as there's very little to say about this album.

Overall if you've liked what In Flames have produced in recent years you'll probably like this album a fair amount, if you've just discovered the band you'll probably dig this as well. The album isn't going to phase someone whose trying to get back into this band because its tired and samey to the point where I feel like I've heard these songs already. But at the same time for those in the band if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Overall Rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment