Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Freeze, It's A Cover Up!


No this isn't a blog on police songs (although message in a bottle is pretty cool), instead its on bands covering songs. Recently I've been exposed to some pretty cool covers, the already discussed cover by The Dum Dum Girls - There Is A Light originally done by The Smiths, its a really cool cover putting their own spin on a classic song from a quality band. The thing about covers is its either hit or miss, you either do a great job or you look like a pub rock covers band playing for $50.

I've always thought that when bands look to cover an album they should put their own twist on a song but keep it sounding at least similar to the classic tune. Of course not all bands succeed in doing this so here's some songs that I feel did terrible jobs covering songs.

Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver (Dio)
Seriously, I know they're trying hard to make it sound cool for their fans, but really it just blows and ruins one of Dio's best tracks.

Muse - Please Let Me Get What I Want (The Smiths)
I feel like he's trying really hard to sound like Morrissey but instead he just sounds like a faggot, please try again.

Placebo - Where Is My Mind (Pixies)
This really wouldn't be that bad of a cover but at times the vocals just annoy me way too much to enjoy it, I don't mind Placebo but it just doesn't at all work for me.

Now obviously I've given you examples of covers I dislike, now I'll show you ones I do enjoy.

Cancer Bats - Sabotage (Beastie Boys)
Really the only Cancer Bats song that I like, it's weird, fun and cool. Plus the music video is baller as fuck.


Dum Dum Girls - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (The Smiths)
It's a refreshing response to a classic song, to me it does everything you want from a cover, puts their own spin while still keeping with the winning formula.

Gorillaz - Crystalised (The XX)
Has turned an incredible minimal song and shown it from a new, fresh minimal sound, Albarn's vocals are soft and well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment