Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Album Review: Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two



So Did you hear there's a new Beastie Boys album? well I did and I think it's pretty alright...ALRIGHT!?!? So a lot of people didn't dig To The 5 Boroughs, I however am a huge fan of the release, its easily an 8.5/10 which is pretty good considering the amount of win these dudes have made over the years. Pauls Boutique, Ill Communication and License To Ill are all hip hop classics, not to mention the other albums are atleast solid releases in their own right. With this in mind the band certainly had high standards to keep up with and they certainly did so...sort of

Now as I've already said its pretty alright, now I like it but I don't love it. When I listen I feel like the energy that makes this trio so great is being slowly suffocated out of them. Make Some Noise is O.G. Beastie Boys so much energy, with the party theme at the forefront of the song, great beat as always and some strong rhymes.

A strong start continues through tracks 2,3,4 the energy drops ever so slightly during Too Many Rappers which features Nas (why? no idea) he doesn't at all do a bad job, I just see it as a little pointless. The Beastie Boys as a trio don't need a featuring artist, particularly one that can't keep up with the energy the trio are known for.

After this track the energy isn't non existant at all, it just seems like we start to lose it slowly and slowly. It's not to say the songs aren't at all bad Say It is pretty strong while The Bill Harper Collection interlude is kind of pointless but still works to introduce the track Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win which also has a featuring artist in Santigold, I'm not much a fan of the track, feels like it slows the mood just for her.Long Burn  solid but nothing to get excited about. The album doesn't pick up again till Lee Majors Come Again which is one of the better tracks for me.

The end of this album is like the suffocation is over and the band is trying to get back into their normal mood and I think they have a winner in Here's A Little Something For Ya, my favourite on the album fo sur. Overall the album is solid, but as much as i want to love this I just can't, it still holds its own in the Beastie Boys discography, but won't seen as near the strongest release in my opinion.

Overall Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment