Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Album Review: Psychedelic Horseshit - Laced



Yeah great band name right? wrong, its shit (no not horse shit...well yeah but you know what I mean) Well anyway this album is a lo-fi, noise pop and obviously psychedelic group. This is I believe their second full length album (rate your music and wiki and their tumblr all say different things) surprisingly this album was a real grower for me and could be describes a little better than tolerable while listening. I have to admit I'd never listened to this band before this release when getting started and perhaps I should've given this more thought.

The album is short for a full length release at only 35 minutes, one of its better qualities really, the band shows good signs from the start but the insistence on being incredibly lo-fi (which can be cool) at times ruins it. The album starts of with some cool little electronics and leads to a solid beat to get the album off with a solid start the track at less than 2 minutes is intriguing as to what this album shall be serving up. The vocals are usually surrounded with less ambitious music which I feel is disappointing considering the electronic interludes and instrumental pieces are some of my favourite bits, the vocals won't blow you away by any feat but are still cool.

My real gripe on this album though is that the songs are too short for what they're trying to do, particularly on the ambient attempts, cutting them into short songs really ruins it as it takes time for those tracks to build up. Another gripe is that the album is really all over the place, I really don't know whats next or what to expect, ambient? lo-fi? weird electronic instrumentals? psychedelic pop? either way they crammed way too many different ideas into such a short album that it doesn't work for me.

One thing I found was the stand out track didn't really appear until the end in Making Out, its pretty simple lo fi indie rock with a really cool drum beat, I don't want the whole album to be like this though, the song shows some sort of direction that the album lacks.

Overall rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment