Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Album Review: Lil Wayne - Tha Carter IV



Its been three years since Wayne's last Carter release Tha Carter III, since that we've had the leftovers in the form of Rebirth and I Am Not A Human Being. This is Wayne's ninth album and the hype for this has been fairly strong but has it really deserved the hype?

Personally I find the album a little underwhelming, there's some tracks on this I really enjoyed and some I thought were just "meh". This is definitely a Wayne sounding album he has his signature dirty sound on some of the tracks that tr00 fans will like. I'm not a tr00 Wayne fan, I didn't really like Tha Carter III which featured a track I listened to a lot at one time. A Milli a track I'm still unsure whether its a really cool track or completely stupid because its just so ridiculous.

Anyway back to this album, one thing I really liked was the beats on some of the tracks Blunt Blowin was one of these with its soft synth and much grittier beat over top. Another was 6 Foot 7 Foot with a great sample throughout the track, this is probably my favourite on the album as Wayne does a great job on this also. One moment I thought on this album that was kind of funny was the track How To Hate has a bit of the A Milli drum beat in it.

The main problem I have with this is its just long and full of throwaway tracks that really don't do anything for me. The second half of this album especially apart from maybe the "diss" track just cause it's something different. Even if a Lil Wayne, Jay Z feud might be one of the biggest "who cares" feuds today the track is pretty solid and at least shows something at the end of this album. With it being so long its tough to really keep interested if there's two or three lame tracks in a row  and I think this is its biggest problem.

Overall Lil Wayne and his unhygenic sounding voice has produced a pretty uninspiring album here, there's some cool tracks on this but not enough to really keep me that interested throughout this album. The beats on this album are my favourite part of this and even some of the guest verses help make some of these tracks really cool (Andre 3000, Cory Gunz, Busta Rhymes).

Overall Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment