Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mini Mini Reviews



Aight its time to give you a few shortish reviews of new albums I've listened to his week, some really cool stuff has leaked online including new Fleet Foxes and TV On The Radio. Now the reason behind my mini reviews is there's very little I have to say about these albums, sure I might like an album a lot but the pains of describing it and usually adding some lame story (I see that a lot in much bigger reviews) isn't my thang, I'll just do what I keep doing, short, to the point and a rating at the end.


Yuck - Yuck

Now this album is really really cool, the track that is head and shoulders above the rest is definitely the second track titled Wall. This album has old school alternative rock to it, back when the scene was a lot fresher and wasn't dying (it is, I'm tellin ya). There isn't a bad track in the bunch for me, its just a shame they all aren't at the Wall level.
Rating: 8.5/10


Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

This album leaked on Sunday in NZ (I think) I didn't listen though, because it only came out in 128kps(the bane), from the people I talked to who listened to it, they gave glowing reviews so I had high expectations to begin with. Once it hit online in the 320(bro) format I was all over this and the album is definitely worth a listen, at this stage for me it slightly edges the self titled release and just flows beautifully. The vocals again are magical and Pecknold takes it to the next level, if you like folk music this could be an early contender for album of the year, if not you'll still dig it cause its still krieg as fuck.
Rating: 9/10


The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Belong

Another album that is somewhat alternative in its sound, what I love about this album as its still got the signature TPOBPAH sound but is still different to the first release. What I do notice is a lack of distorted guitar in this one apart from the early tracks on the album. This surprised me but it still works for me, the album is uber sweet and nice, nicer than the first which is kind of scary in a way.
I don't know how you could hate this album.
Rating: 8/10


TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light

Oh Shieet nu TV On The Radio LEAKED YESTERDAY!!!!!! but should I rejoice....? HELL YESSSSSS!!!!. This album had a little pressure to be good in my eyes, as the last album Dear Science is my favourite of the bunch. That added with the fact there really hasn't been a bad TV On The Radio album, meant it wasn't a good time for a stinker. The album is again great, its still what you love about this band so don't worry. I've only given this a listen once so no stand out tracks for me yet.
Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment