Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Album Review: Foo Fighters - Wasting Light



There's definitely something wasted when listening to this album, not talent, not skill, but my time, cause quite frankly this is an album that is just another boring, bland and more of the same Foo Fighters release. Now I will admit I've never been a big fan of the Foo Fighters, I did dig the early stuff when it was much more fresh sounding. I also didn't mind the odd song off some of the albums after the early albums, but this band to me isn't moving in any direction and has been static for many a years.

I do have another problem with the band and that's the pedestal the fans have put Dave Grohl at. He's a solid musician who has been in two popular bands playing a different instrument in each (I'm not going to even bother stating these bands) What I feel puts him over as a musical "God" to some fans is that he's very charismatic, no real relevance to his musical ability whatsoever.

Now to the album, starting the album is the track Bridge Burning and it just oozes radio rock, the drumming is slightly decent but the lyrics and general sound of the song is monotone Foo Fighters. Next is the first single (I believe) Rope, again very simple formula and it keeps with what has made the Foo Fighters so popular over the years, you can't fault them for staying in this sound when people will still go out and buy the album no matter what. Perhaps this is the U2 of our generation? you know the whole saying that U2 could get Bono to read out names from a phone book and people would still buy the album.

The album continues this route throughout, this album produces the slightest of glimpses that songs might creep away from their signature sound, but just when you think it's going to get away, it gets dragged back in. This album to a die hard Foo Fighters fan will be another great album I'm sure, it will have a good handful's worth of songs that will make it's way to commercial radio at some stage. But the casual fan or someone who isn't big on the radio rock scene probably won't dig it.

lastly this might just be a dodgy rip that I ended up with but at 320 (bro) it sounds terrible, hopefully this isn't the case with the actual CD otherwise it's definitely another point off the rating.

Overall Rating: 5/10

Try again Foo Fighters...or not

No comments:

Post a Comment