Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Worst Of 2011: The First Quarter



So I did a top 25 of the albums I thought were great after the first three months, so now I feel like I should recognise the worst albums so far, again they don't have to be officially released but I've only had to have heard the whole album. Thankfully this won't be a list of 25 because I've been lucky enough to not hear 25 bad albums.


1. The Strokes - Angles

Everything The Strokes built from the superb album This Is It was officially destroyed (well what was left of it after First Impressions On Earth), the album doesn't feature much of the signature Strokes sound and the portions that do are the only shining lights. Unfortunately those lights are few and far between and makes this my worst (and most disappointing) album of 2011 so far.


2. Lupe Fiasco - Lasers

This was tough to put at 2 and you know why? cause it could easily be number 1. The album has nothing that resembles a Lupe album and instead we get a watered down, slow jams, commercial hip hop album with political lyrics my answer to this is simple zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, its just too boring and I don't see why anyone from the O.G. Lupe supporters would be digging this commercial shit anyway.


3. Raekwon - Shaolin Vs Wu Tang

Firstly I loved Only Built For Cuban Linx Pt 2, so this was a big shame as it totally doesn't work for me. Another rapper moving away from his bread and butter (not using RZA) he's produced a flop of an album in my opinion and something I won't be revisiting any time soon.


4. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead

I'm quite a fan of The Decemberists and when I saw their album was "available" I was pretty excited, after the first listen I was still kind of indifferent about it with only the knowledge that it was better than Hazards Of Love (not a tough feat to be fair) However after multiple listens I just came to one positive about the album. It's better than Hazards Of Love. Colin Meloy's voice is very much a love hate thing for fans and until this I still dug it but it grates me throughout, a real disappointment.


5. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

I wrote a big old review for this album here and it wasn't favourable to the radio rock darlings of today. Dave Grohl and his merry men produced another boring radio rock album that this time tries to recapture the old sound but doesn't work that well. It'll still be a hit, but its nothing fresh or interesting, best leave this one in the don't bother to listen to again pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment