Friday, April 29, 2011

Album Review: J Mascis - Several Shades Of Why



This album has been out for a while now, but I've only just given it a first listen after never really being in the mood to give this a try. J Mascis lead singer from a band I quite like in Dinosaur Jr, releasing his third studio album. I've been a Dinosaur Jr fan for a while and have definitely loved the vocals of Mr Mascis, the dirty, grungy vocals he produces are wonderful to my ears and again they work pretty well on this album.

Disclaimer: Anyone hoping for something resembling a Dinosaur Jr album turn back now because what you will hear may bore you to death, this is some long fuckin BAS.

Surprisingly after finishing the album I notice it's a decent length at 41 minutes, although it felt like the album went on forever, it was bland musically, an acoustic fan might still dig this but J doesn't seem to produce anything that could be seen as worthwhile or different from the early tracks. The album meanders throughout and if it wasn't for the vocals which I love, would have definitely put me to sleep.

The positives are few and far between for this release and the vocals keep some sanity to it, but once you get past a couple of tracks you almost don't see the point in continuing, like a demise is being produced and all you end up with is boring acoustic shit, a waste of 41 minutes and the wish that you never have to listen to this again.

So if you didn't notice the last two paragraphs are essentially the same, the album bore me so much I couldn't really explain how bad it was and just kind of slipppppppppppped away.

Please Mr Mascis never make another BAS album

Yours Sincerely
Sorbo

Overall Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment